Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cooking with Carter Series-Potato Soup (Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Book)

I've started a cooking series with little man. Last night we made dinner. It was easy and fast and best of all, healthy. I would maybe alter the recipe a bit. Perhaps add a little butter (we use smart butter), salt, pepper and sour cream along with the cheese topping. Oh and bacon pieces. The soup still tasted healthy until we added the Texas Toast! ha! Not bad for a cold winter day!

Here's the recipe:

2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, partially thawed (I used the cubed hash browns from the refrigerated section)
1 (14.5 oz) can fat-free chicken broth
1/3 cup finely chopped onion (I used onion powder-a dash for flavor-Mike not a big fan of onions)
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/3 cup skim milk

In a med nonstick pot, heat hash brown, broth and onion to a boil, reduce heat, and cook, covered, about 8-10 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and milk. Add to potato mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until thickened.

Top off with shredded cheese, green onions or like what we did...bacon and sour cream.

Enjoy!!!

Measuring out the flour

What kind of potatoes Carter?

Stir Stir Stir

Making sure the milk is good!

He was mixing milk, water and potatoes...You can tell by now he's really doing his own thing!
-Mommy and Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment